Anime Characters Lunchbox
Chara-ben is a shortened word of characters Bento (lunchbox), which expresses anime characters using foods.
Japanese moms started making Chara-ben for kids’ lunch boxes to make them.The Chara-ben is very cute (Kawaii) and kid’s can proud it toward their friends.
Kid’s can eat dislike foods as well because of cute shapes and character.
Nowadays, it is a boom and there are lots of recipe books and contests. Many Japanese people are having fun to post pics of Chara-ben on multiple SNS. As a result Chara-bens are becoming popular in the world!
Let’s try making Chara-ben and share pics with friends on SNS!
- Ingredients service for 1 person
- Cooked rice
(for TOTORO include Dust bunny)
- 0.5 cup
- Black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Salmon flakes for belly
- 1 teaspoon
- Cooked rice (for Dust Bunny)
- 20 g (1/3 of TTL rice)
- Salmon flakes for Bunny
- 1 teaspoon
- Nori seaweed sheet
(for eyes and the Dust Bunny)
- For bunny 1/4 sheet
For eyes 1/8 sheet
- Slices cheese
(for whites of eyes)
- 1/6 sheet
- Long, thin pasta for salad
- 2 pieces
- Mix 2/3 of cooked rice for TOTORO with ground black sesame seeds and salt. Shape into the body and ears of TOTORO using a cooking wrap. Make a rice ball stomach using the remained rice with salmon flakes inside.
- Mix salmon flakes with rice and make a ball using plastic wrap.
- Cut Nori sheet into round shape and wrap 1 with it.
Eyes, whiskers, nose and patterns on TOTORO’s stomach
- Punch slice cheese and make four circles using a plastic straw.
- Fry pasta and cut it into six.
- Punch Nori seaweed sheet by a puncher to make eyes, nose and patterns on its stomach of TOTORO.
Put all staff in a Bento box
- Put TOTORO and Dust Bunny into a Bento box, decollate other staff surrounding characters. Put eyes, nose whiskers and stomach patterns carefully with tweezers.